People are at the heart of the way we operate. We are a family owned business and we extend our family commitments to our team members and wider circle of partners. We recognise that engaged people deliver great customer service and better performance.
Our People vision is underpinned by our Values, which were created by our team members and describe what it is like to work here:
"To be the destination for the most extraordinary people experience".
We have six goals to achieve our People Vision and every department has a People Plan where they focus on the areas that matter to their team members and our business.
Click on each of the six values above to hear our team members bring them to life
We understand the value of talking, listening and consistently owning the outcomes. We have an annual opinion survey where we listen to our people and take action through our people plans.
The opinion survey enables us to identify and address any challenges quickly which is important in a fast-paced business like ours. The results of this year’s survey show that our team members are more engaged than others in the UK retail sector (+6% above UK retail norm).
Engaged teams require engaging communications. Our channels include traditional newsletters and an internal TV channel. But it’s face-to-face communications in which we excel – whether that’s daily team briefings with a dash of ‘Wake-Up Shake-Up’ fun or spectacular conferences and awards ceremonies produced with a splash of theatre.
We celebrate success and thank our people for a job well done. We have our Extraordinary People programme to recognise team members who live our values and the Extraordinary People Club that celebrates extraordinary service and sales performance. In addition, team members receive performance related pay and enjoy a variety of benefits to enhance their well-being.
We offer great benefits to all our team members across the business including:
- Discount: This is our number one appreciated benefit with up to 35% off shopping in our stores.
- Commission: Depending on where you work, team members can earn up to 2% on everything they sell.
- Pension: a Defined Contribution scheme provided by Aviva.
- Bonus: For managers and Head Office team members. Our bonus for 2013 was the best ever payout.
- Life Assurance: free, for all Selfridges team members.
- Ticket Loans: we offer interest free season ticket loans.
- Childcare Vouchers: savings on childcare of up to £933 (depending on salary) with Computer Share vouchers.
- Gym Membership: the best deals so our teams can join a gym close to where they live or work.
- Triage & Rehabilitation: If anything happens at work, we may be able to help if our team members need to see a physiotherapist, osteopath or chiropractor.
- Cash Plan: Our teams can claim money back towards their healthcare costs
- Eye care: We provide a contribution towards the cost of having eyes tested and/or for glasses for computer
- Cycle to Work: the scheme offers the opportunity to hire a bicycle and safety equipment.
- Private Health Cover: For our managers we offer private health cover with BUPA.
- HealthLine: 24/7 health advice and support is available for anyone with private health cover.
Our business runs on relationships and creativity. It why talking, listening, conversing and working as one is fundamental to achieve our clear goals which are shared at the beginning of each year. We call them our “Six Routes to Success.” Everyone plays their part in achieving our success. We are investing in our work place environment to ensure our people have a similarly extraordinary experience when working here as our customers have when shopping.
We develop and promote the best internal talent and attract the best talent externally. Driven by our Vision and Values, we have a shared understanding of ‘what good looks like’. This helps us to set candidates’ expectations, and give them a great recruitment and on boarding experience.
We offer a range of learning opportunities which support our current and future business needs and enables our people to take responsibility for their own development. We recognise the importance of great leadership and we will promote the best talent to be our future leaders. We have an Extraordinary Manager Programme to support development and in 2013 we delivered over 8,500 places on our training and development programmes.
We are proud of our diverse and talented team, which reflects our brand customer base and city locations.
We have the people, structures and processes that are geared towards achieving our vision, living our values and delivering our business goals. This includes clear career paths, succession planning and comprehensive people data to make the right business decisions and to measure the success of our leaders.
To achieve our vision to be the destination for the most extraordinary people experience, we are focussed on working and thinking differently, in environments which reflect our brand.